Internal corporate and networks in educational institutions are often restricted to devices with ethernet access and in many hotels you can often get much faster internet speeds over a wired network connection. But what if you've got an iPad or iPad Pro – how can you get on a wired network with that?
Luckily, we've been working on a solution to make that possible, here's how it works: There's a new Apple USB adapter that supports USB accessories as well as an additional power source. Combine that with our upcoming tizi ethernet adapter, and you're all set:
- Connect the USB adapter to the Lightning port on your iPad or iPhone
- Plug a Lightning cable into the adapter and connect it to a charger
- Connect a tizi USB ethernet adapter to Apple adapter
That's it. Now you just plug in a network cable and you're ready to go.
Details for the technically inclined :
- The USB adapter plus ethernet adapter need 1.5A of power – so you'll need a decent, reliable power source
- The iPad doesn't give you any sign or icon to let you know that you're connected over ethernet – it just magically starts working
- The tizi USB 3 ethernet adapter supports USB 3 and Gigabit Ethernet speeds – and so does the big iPad Pro
- This setup works with all iPhones and iPads that have a lightning port – the big 12.9" iPad Pro will support Gigabit ethernet speeds, all others will support up to 100 mbit
Travel tips: For a more mobile setup, you can also use a tizi Flachmann powerbank as your power source.
The tizi USB 3 ethernet adapter is coming soon and will be available in two versions:
tizi USB 3 ethernet adapter: Suitable for iPad, iPhone and all Macs with a regular USB port
tizi USB C ethernet hub: Designed for the new 12" MacBook and all devices with a USB-C port.
Sign up and we'll let you know when it's available.